Sunday, May 12, 2019

Monday, May 13 day 2 rhetorical devices

Image result for rhetorical triangle
Important: All grades are up-to-date, and you are receiving grade reports.

Anything you owed Ms. DiPerna cannot be changed. However, many of you are missing work from last week. This includes:

Friday's vocabulary quiz on rhetorical devices
Thursday's practice on prefixes
Wednesday's: rhetorical argument writing.


There are copies of these up front. If you care to remove your zero, handle it NOW!


In class:  review practice of the devices using last week's vocabulary.

  1. A host, of golden daffodils; / Beside the lake, beneath the trees,/ Fluttering and dancing In the breeze 

2. “So, I ask you, dear reader, what would you have me do?”

3. ”Just as a caterpillar comes out of its cocoon, so we must come out of our comfort zone.”

4.  “This car goes faster than the speed of light.”

5.A character steps out into a hurricane and says, “What nice weather we’re having!”

 6. “My life is my purpose. My life is my goal. My life is my inspiration.” inspite of the pouring rain, they continued on their journey.

 7. A host, of golden daffodils; / Beside the lake, beneath the trees,/ Fluttering and dancing In the breeze.

8.“Doctors all over the world recommend this type of treatment.”

9.“I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.”  

10. On the half sheet of paper on your desk, identify the rhetorical device used, giving specific support for your reasoning with a minimum of two textual examples. (Remember your audience!)

Let me start with the economy, and a basic fact: The United States of America, right now, has the strongest, most durable economy in the world. We’re in the middle of the longest streak of private sector job creation in history. More than 14 million new jobs, the strongest two years of job growth since the ‘90s, an unemployment rate cut in half. Our auto industry just had its best year ever. That’s just part of a manufacturing surge that’s created nearly 900,000 new jobs in the past six years. And we’ve done all this while cutting our deficits by almost three-quarters            Barak Obama
We did not finish  up identifying the following commercials on Friday.
For each of the following three commercials. Identify the type of rhetorical devices being used and support your reasoning with evidence from the commercial.





analysis of Queen Elizabeth's speech (class handout / copy below)



Name_______________________________
Directions: read through the following speech, noting whether the persuasive technique being used by Queen Elizabeth I is logos, ethos or pathos. Underline the phrase and write a “l”, “e” or “p” above.
Queen Elizabeth I’s Speech to the Troops at Tilbury, 1588

My loving people, We have been persuaded by some that are careful of our safety, to take heed how we commit ourselves to armed multitudes, for fear of treachery; but I assure you I do not desire to live to distrust my faithful and loving people.
Let tyrants fear, I have always so behaved myself that, under God, I have placed my chiefest strength and safeguard in the loyal hearts and good-will of my subjects; and therefore I am come amongst you, as you see, at this time, not for my recreation and disport, but being resolved, in the midst and heat of the battle, to live and die amongst you all; to lay down for my God, and for my kingdom, and my people, my honour and my blood, even in the dust.
 I know I have the body but of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king, and of a king of England too, and think foul scorn that Parma or Spain, or any prince of Europe, should dare to invade the borders of my realm; to which rather than any dishonour shall grow by me, I myself will take up arms, I myself will be your general, judge, and rewarder of every one of your virtues in the field.

 I know already, for your forwardness you have deserved rewards and crowns; and We do assure you in the word of a prince, they shall be duly paid you. In the mean time, my lieutenant general shall be in my stead, than whom never prince commanded a more noble or worthy subject; not doubting but by your obedience to my general, by your concord in the camp, and your valour in the field, we shall shortly have a famous victory over those enemies of my God, of my kingdom, and of my people.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday, June 17

Your ELA Regents Exam is this Wednesday at 7:30 in the morning.   Bring two pens with you. You are not allowed to write in pencil Fi...