Monday, October 8, 2018

Tuesday October 9 - Intro to Merchant project


Coming up: We will spend 10/11 and 10/12 working on our final projects for The Merchant of Venice. Presentations will take place next Monday 10/15 and Tuesday 10/16. Both the creative project and written accompaniment are due on the 15th.
Objective Question: What is expected of us in the final project? 

Objective: Understand the final project, its rubric, and what is expected of each students. Students will begin brainstorming and understand how to create their project using the resources provided and that they already have. 

Important Pieces of Text for Each Character:

  • Antonio
    • "In sooth, I know not why I am so sad.
      It wearies me; you say it wearies you;
      But how I caught it, found it, or came by it,
      What stuff 'tis made of, whereof it is born,
      I am to learn;
      And such a want-wit sadness makes of me
      That I have much ado to know myself." (1.1.1)
    • "Thou know'st that all my fortunes are at sea;
      Neither have I money nor commodity
      To raise a present sum. Therefore go forth:
      Try what my credit can in Venice do;
      That shall be racked, even to the uttermost
      To furnish thee to Belmont to fair Portia.
      Go, presently inquire, and so will I,
      Where money is, and I no question make
      To have it of my trust, or for my sake." (1.1.184-192)
    • "I pray you, good Bassanio, let me know it;
      And if it stand, as you yourself still do,
      Within the eye of honor, be assured
      My purse, my person, my extremest means
      Lie all unlocked to your occasions." (1.1.142-146)
    • "I am as like to call thee so again,
      To spit on thee again, to spurn thee, too.
      If thou wilt lend this money, lend it not
      As to thy friends, for when did friendship take
      A breed for barren metal of his friend?" (1.3.140-144)
    • "If thou wilt lend this money, lend it not
      As to thy friends, for when did friendship take
      A breed for barren metal of his friend?
      But lend it rather to thine enemy,
      Who, if he break, thou mayst with better face
      Exact the penalty." (1.3.142-147)
    • "The duke cannot deny the course of law,
      For the commodity that strangers have
      With us in Venice, if it be denied,
      Will much impeach the justice of his state,
      Since that the trade and profit of the city
      Consisteth of all nations. Therefore go." (3.3.29-34)
    • "I have heard
      Your Grace hath ta'en great pains to qualify
      His rigorous course; but since he stands obdurate,
      And that no lawful means can carry me
      Out of his envy's reach, I do oppose
      My patience to his fury, and am armed
      To suffer with a quietness of spirit
      The very tyranny and rage of his." (4.1.7-14)
  • Bassanio:
    • "'Tis not unknown to you, Antonio,
      How much I have disabled mine estate
      By something showing a more swelling port
      Than my faint means would grant continuance.
      Nor do I now make moan to be abridged
      From such a noble rate. But my chief care
      Is to come fairly off from the great debts
      Wherein my time something too prodigal,
      Hath left me gaged. To you, Antonio,
      I owe the most in money and in love,
      And from your love I have a warranty
      To unburden all my plots and purposes
      How to get clear of all the debts I owe." (1.1.129-141)
    • "Her name is Portia, nothing undervalued 
      To Cato's daughter, Brutus' Portia.
      Nor is the wide world ignorant of her worth,
      For the four winds blow in from every coast
      Renownèd suitors, and her sunny locks
      Hang on her temples like a golden fleece,
      Which makes her seat of Belmont Colchos' strond,
      And many Jasons come in quest of her." (1.1.172-179)
    • "Antonio, I am married to a wife
      Which is as dear to me as life itself,
      But life itself, my wife, and all the world,
      Are not with me esteemed above thy life.
      I would lose all, ay, sacrifice them all
      Here to this devil, to deliver you. 
      PORTIA [aside]
      Your wife would give you little thanks for that
      If she were by, to hear you make the offer." (4.1.294-301)
    • "Like one of two contending in a prize
      That thinks he hath done well in people's eyes,
      Hearing applause and universal shout,
      Giddy in spirit, still gazing in a doubt
      Whether those peals of praise be his or no,
      So, thrice-fair lady, stand I even so,
      As doubtful whether what I see be true,
      Until confirmed, signed, ratified by you. "(3.2.145-152)
    • "So may the outward shows be least themselves: 
    • The world is still deceived with ornament.
      In law, what plea so tainted and corrupt,
      But, being seasoned with a gracious voice,
      Obscures the show of evil? In religion,
      What damned error, but some sober brow
      Will bless it and approve it with a text,
      Hiding the grossness with fair ornament?
      There is no vice so simple but assumes
      Some mark of virtue on his outward parts:
      How many cowards, whose hearts are all as false
      As stairs of sand, wear yet upon their chins
      The beards of Hercules and frowning Mars;
      Who, inward search'd, have livers white as milk;
      And these assume but valour's excrement
      To render them redoubted! Look on beauty,
      And you shall see 'tis purchased by the weight;
      Which therein works a miracle in nature,
      Making them lightest that wear most of it:
      So are those crisped snaky golden locks
      Which make such wanton gambols with the wind,
      Upon supposed fairness, often known
      To be the dowry of a second head,
      The skull that bred them in the sepulchre.
      Thus ornament is but the guiled shore
      To a most dangerous sea; the beauteous scarf
      Veiling an Indian beauty; in a word,
      The seeming truth which cunning times put on
      To entrap the wisest. Therefore, thou gaudy gold,
      Hard food for Midas, I will none of thee;
      Nor none of thee, thou pale and common drudge
      'Tween man and man: but thou, thou meagre lead,
      Which rather threatenest than dost promise aught,
      Thy paleness moves me more than eloquence;
      And here choose I; joy be the consequence!" (3.2. 75-110)
  • Shylock:
    • "How like a fawning publican he looks!
      I hate him for he is a Christian,
      But more for that in low simplicity
      He lends out money gratis and brings down
      The rate of usance here with us in Venice.
      If I can catch him once upon the hip,
      I will feed fat the ancient grudge I bear him.
      He hates our sacred nation, and he rails,
      Even there where merchants most do congregate,
      On me, my bargains and my well-won thrift,
      Which he calls "interest." Cursed be my tribe
      If I forgive him!"(1.3.41-52)
    • "This kindness will I show.
      Go with me to a notary, seal me there
      Your single bond; and in a merry sport,
      If you repay me not on such a day,
      In such a place, such sum or sums as are
      Express'd in the condition, let the forfeit
      Be nominated for an equal pound
      Of your fair flesh, to be cut off and taken
      In what part of your body pleaseth me." (1.3.155-174)
    • "He hath disgraced me, and
      hindered me half a million, laughed at my losses,
      mocked at my gains, scorned my nation, thwarted 
      my bargains, cooled my friends, heated mine enemies—  
      and what's his reason? I am a Jew. Hath not 
      a Jew eyes? hath not a Jew hands, organs, dimensions, 
      senses, affections, passions? Fed with the 
      same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to 
      the same diseases, healed by the same means,
      warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer 
      as a Christian is? If you prick us, do we not 
      bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you 
      poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall 
      we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will
      resemble you in that. If a Jew wrong a Christian,
      what is his humility? Revenge. If a Christian wrong 
      a Jew, what should his sufferance be by Christian 
      example? Why, revenge! The villainy you teach me I 
      will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the 
      instruction." (3.1.53-72)
    • "Signior Antonio, many a time and oft
      In the Rialto you have rated me
      About my moneys and my usances.
      Still have I borne it with a patient shrug
      (For suff'rance is the badge of all our tribe).
      You call me misbeliever, cutthroat dog,
      And spet upon my Jewish gaberdine,
      And all for use of that which is mine own.
      Well then, it now appears you need my help.
      Go to, then. You come to me, and you say
      "Shylock, we would have moneys"—you say so,
      You that did void your rheum upon my beard,
      And foot me as you spurn a stranger cur
      Over your threshold. Moneys is your suit.
      What should I say to you? Should I not say
      "Hath a dog money? Is it possible
      A cur can lend three thousand ducats?" Or
      Shall I bend low and, in a bondman's key,
      With bated breath and whisp'ring humbleness,
      Say this:
      'Fair sir, you spet on me on Wednesday 
         last;
      You spurned me such a day; another time
      You call'd me 'dog'; and for these courtesies
      I'll lend you thus much moneys?'" (1.3.116-139)
    • "Pray you, tell me this:
      If he should break his day, what should I gain
      By the exaction of the forfeiture?
      A pound of man's flesh taken from a man
      Is not so estimable, profitable neither,
      As flesh of muttons, beefs, or goats. I say,
      To buy his favor, I extend this friendship.
      If he will take it, so. If not, adieu;
      And, for my love I pray you wrong me not." (1.3.174-182)
    • "Why there, there, there, there! A diamond gone, cost me
      two thousand ducats in Frankfort! The curse never fell upon our
      nation till now; I never felt it till now. Two thousand ducats in
      that, and other precious, precious jewels. I would my daughter
      were dead at my foot, and the jewels in her ear; would she were
      hears'd at my foot, and the ducats in her coffin!" (3.1.8)
  • Portia
    • "What, no more?
      Pay him six thousand, and deface the bond.
      Double six thousand, and then treble that,
      Before a friend of this description
      [...]
      For never shall you lie by Portia's side
      With an unquiet soul. You shall have gold
      To pay the petty debt twenty times over:" (3.2.311-314, 318-320)
    • "There are some shrewd contents in yond same 
        paper
      That steals the color from Bassanio's cheek.
      Some dear friend dead, else nothing in the world
      Could turn so much the constitution
      Of any constant man." (3.2.252-257)
    • "I never did repent for doing good,
      Nor shall not now; for in companions
      That do converse and waste the time together,
      Whose souls do bear an equal yoke of love,
      There must be needs a like proportion
      Of lineaments, of manners, and of spirit;
      Which makes me think that this Antonio,
      Being the bosom lover of my lord,
      Must needs be like my lord." (3.4.10-17)
    • "Happiest of all is that her gentle spirit
      Commits itself to yours to be directed
      As from her lord, her governor, her king.
      Myself, and what is mine, to you and yours
      Is now converted. But now I was the lord
      Of this fair mansion, master of my servants,
      Queen o'er myself; and even now, but now,
      This house, these servants, and this same myself
      Are yours, my lord's. I give them with this ring,
                                                              [handing him a ring.]
      Which when you part from, lose, or give away,
      Let it presage the ruin of your love,
      And be my vantage to exclaim on you." (3.2.167-178)
    • "The quality of mercy is not strained.
      It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
      Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
      It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.
      [...]
      But mercy is above this sceptered sway.
      It is enthroned in the hearts of kings;
      It is an attribute to God Himself;
      And earthly power doth then show likest God's
      When mercy seasons justice. Therefore, Jew,
      Though justice be thy plea, consider this:
      That, in the course of justice, none of us
      Should see salvation. We do pray for mercy,
      And that same prayer doth teach us all to render
      The deeds of mercy. I have spoke thus much
      To mitigate the justice of thy plea,
      Which, if thou follow, this strict court of Venice
      Must needs give sentence 'gainst the merchant 
         there." (4.1.188-193; 199-212)
    • "Tarry a little; there is something else.
      This bond doth give thee here no jot of blood.
      The words expressly are "a pound of flesh."
      Take then thy bond, take thou thy pound of flesh,
      But, in the cutting it, if thou dost shed
      One drop of Christian blood, thy lands and goods
      Are by the laws of Venice confiscate
      Unto the state of Venice." (4.1.318-325)
    • "You see me, Lord Bassanio, where I stand,
      Such as I am. Though for myself alone
      I would not be ambitious in my wish
      To wish myself much better, yet for you
      I would be trebled twenty times myself,
      A thousand times more fair, ten thousand times more rich,
      That only to stand high in your account
      I might in virtues, beauties, livings, friends,
      Exceed account. But the full sum of me
      Is sum of something which, to term in gross,
      Is an unlesson'd girl, unschool'd, unpractis'd;
      Happy in this, she is not yet so old
      But she may learn; happier than this,
      She is not bred so dull but she can learn;"(3.2.7)
    • "If to do were as easy as to know what were good to
    • do, chapels had been churches and poor men's
      cottages princes' palaces. It is a good divine that
      follows his own instructions: I can easier teach
      twenty what were good to be done, than be one of the
      twenty to follow mine own teaching. The brain may
      devise laws for the blood, but a hot temper leaps
      o'er a cold decree: such a hare is madness the
      youth, to skip o'er the meshes of good counsel the
      cripple. But this reasoning is not in the fashion to
      choose me a husband. O me, the word 'choose!' I may
      neither choose whom I would nor refuse whom I
      dislike; so is the will of a living daughter curbed
      by the will of a dead father. Is it not hard,
      Nerissa, that I cannot choose one nor refuse none?" (1.2.12-26)
  • Nerissa:
    • "Your father was ever virtuous, and holy men 
      at their death have good inspirations. Therefore the 
      lottery, that he hath devised in these three chests of 
      gold, silver and lead, whereof who chooses his 
      meaning chooses you, will no doubt never be 
      chosen by any rightly but one who shall rightly 
      love." (1.2.27-33)
    • "You would be, sweet madam, if your miseries were in the same abundance as your good fortunes are. And yet, for aught I see, they are as sick that surfeit with too much as they that starve with nothing. It is no mean happiness, therefore, to be seated in the mean. Superfluity comes sooner by white hairs, but competency lives longer." (1.2.4-9)
    • "What talk you of the posy or the value? You swore to me when I did give it you That you would wear it till your hour of death, And that it should lie with you in your grave. Though not for me, yet for your vehement oaths, You should have been respective and have kept it. Gave it a judge’s clerk! No, God’s my judge, The clerk will ne’er wear hair on ’s face that had it." (5.1. 164-171)
  • Jessica:
    • "Alack, what heinous sin is it in me
      To be ashamed to be my father's child?
      But though I am a daughter to his blood,
      I am not to his manners. O Lorenzo,
      If thou keep promise, I shall end this strife,
      Become a Christian and thy loving wife." (2.3.16-21)
    • "Nay, you need not fear us, Lorenzo. Lancelet 
      and I are out. He tells me flatly there is no mercy for
      me in heaven, because I am a Jew's daughter; and 
      he says, you are no good member of the commonwealth,
      for in converting Jews to Christians you 
      raise the price of pork."
    • "I am sorry thou wilt leave my father so.
      Our house is hell and thou, a merry devil,
      Didst rob it of some taste of tediousness.
      But fare thee well. There is a ducat for thee,
      And, Lancelet, soon at supper shalt thou see
      Lorenzo, who is thy new master's guest.
      Give him this letter, do it secretly.
      And so farewell. I would not have my father
      See me in talk with thee." (2.3.1-9)


Merchant of Venice Final Project
Description & Rubric

For the final project, students will produce a text of their choice that will represent one character’s internal and external representation throughout the play using The Merchant of Venice text and their interpretation of the play.

Step by Step Instructions:
1.    Choose a Character: Using the character development graphic organizer, students will choose one of the two characters on their chart and create their own representation of that character to make the text come to life (examples are below). Characters from your graphic organizer: Antonio, Bassanio, Shylock, Portia, Nerissa, Jessica.
2.    Create a Textual Representation: This text can be any physical representation of the character throughout the play, and should include elements of character development, characteristics, internal identity, and external identity throughout the play. Students will use their graphic organizers, which already include this information, and will critically think about how to produce (using their own interests) a project that represents this character and demonstrates understanding of both the plot and character throughout the play.

The textual representation of choice should be proposed to Ms. Tesoro on October 2nd or 3rd for her approval and suggestion.

Options for the Final Project:
·      A drawing demonstrating the character both internally and externally (could include quotes, words, visuals, etc.) – should be a full page and include at least 3 textual references to fully demonstrate the character’s conflict or growth
·      A blog post as the character of the student’s choosing (300 words minimum)
·      A song or rap from the perspective or about the perspective of the character (should be at least 3 minutes long)
o   No vulgarity
·      A comic strip either digitally or by hand
·      Physical enactment of a whole scene with specific choices made to represent (should be at least 3 minutes long for each person involved)
·      Professional dance designed to demonstrate the character’s journey throughout the play and/or internal vs. external struggle throughout the plot (song must be at least 3 minutes)
·      Written letter from the perspective of the character, written on cardstock provided by Ms. Parker (300 words minimum)
o   Ex. You could write what you think Jessica’s letter said from her perspective
·      If you have another idea, you MUST run it by Ms. Tesoro & Ms. Parker to get permission and establish guidelines by the end of 10/11.

3.    Create a Description: Students will write a short paragraph answering these questions (250 Words Minimum):
a.    Why did you choose the character you did?
b.    How does your project fully represent the character development throughout the play?
c.    Describe at least 3 specific choices you included in your final project and explain why you included these in your character representations that help explain their interpretation of that character (cite evidence that led to these choices).
d.    Did your vision come to life as planned? How successful was it at demonstrating your complex character?
4.    Present: On October15th & 16th, the final project is due, and students will present what they produced to their peers, with explanations as to why they chose what they did.
a.    Day 1 (10/11/18):
                                              i.     Choose your final project category/genre and submit it by the end of class on flashcard
                                            ii.     Choose their character based on your character development graphic organizer
                                          iii.     Choose one piece of textual evidence to focus on from the quotes provided
                                           iv.     Start bringing your vision to life
b.    Day 2 (10/12/8):
                                              i.     Continue to work on project until completed (you can also work on your projects at home to do final touch ups with resources we might not have in class over the weekend, but the base of your project needs to be completed in class.) (YOU MUST BE PRODUCTIVE DURING THE CLASS TIME PROVIDED)
Begin writing your description and reflection on google docs, also due on the 15th.

These projects should demonstrate the student’s creativity and engagement with the plot and character analysis!!! HAVE FUN AND DO SOMETHING YOU’RE PROUD OF! J



Rubric for Description of Project:

Level 1 (1 pt)
Level 2 (2 pts)
Level 3 (3 pts)
Level 4 (4 pts)
Explanation of Representation
Description is imprecise, difficult to understand, and does not demonstrate that the student both used and understood the text.
Description is vague but understandable, and still needs more clarity to show understanding of the character and text. Connections between the project and text are still unclear.
Description is generally precise. Demonstrates a clear idea of character analysis and explaining the connections to the text are understandable for the most part, demonstrating understanding of the original text.
Description is extremely precise, and portrayal of the character is clear, demonstrating clear understanding of the character analysis and growth during the plot. Choices are deliberate and insightful demonstrating clear engagement with and understanding of the text.
Support from & Connection to Original Text
Connections to the text are completely absent, and the physical representation does not accurately represent the character in any form.
Connections to the text, while vague and unclear are still present and understandable with explanation. Evidence of understanding the original text in a vague sense is present.
Connections are directly engaging with the original text, demonstrating clear interpretation of character. The interpretation is accurate to Shakespeare’s original work.
Connections are engaging with the original text in an active and insightful manner. They capture the essence of the character while demonstrating the student’s interpretation through character analysis.
Creativity/ Organization
There are no present creative elements of the produsage.
The project demonstrates a creative mindset but was not implemented in a creative manner. It is organized for the most part in a way that others can understand.
The project brings to life the original text in a creative manner and is for the most part organized in a way that others can understand.
The project is organized in an extremely clear manner that demonstrates the creativity while placing importance on the original text simultaneously.
Overall Effectiveness
Overall, the project does not demonstrate understanding of the original text and character, and there is no enthusiasm about the topic.
Demonstrates a good understanding on the text and character, but needs help implementing this understanding into the project to exhibit enthusiasm.
Project clearly shows a good understanding of the original text and the character of choosing and does so in a creative manner that shows the student is relating to the topics.
Project demonstrates a clear understanding and engagement with the original text and character of choice. The implementation is extremely creative and demonstrates that the student has found a way to relate to the material as an active learner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday, June 17

Your ELA Regents Exam is this Wednesday at 7:30 in the morning.   Bring two pens with you. You are not allowed to write in pencil Fi...