Wednesday, October 3, 2018

October 4 Shakespeare - So Punny!

Thursday October 4th, Shakespeare - So Punny!


Objective Questions: How does Shakespeare use puns to his advantage in his plays? What purpose do they serve in The Merchant of Venice?

What are puns, anyway? 


  • Pun: A play on words that highlights the use of one word that has two definitions for dual meaning
    • usually used for humor 
    • used in deep manner
  • Puns in Shakespeare:
    • Shakespeare's main tool was language - he often hid puns throughout the dialogue
    • Understanding puns in Shakespeare will either make us laugh, or deepen our understanding of what is really going on in the scene



Examples of Puns in The Merchant of Venice
" . . . O me, the word 'choose!' I may
Neither choose whom I would nor refuse whom I dislike; so is
the will of living daughter curbed
By the will of a dead father . . .'" - Portia (1.2.22-25)

Interaction between Shylock and Antonio (1.3.153-165):
Shylock: ". . .This is kind I offer."
Bassanio: "This were kindness!"
Shylock: "This kindness will I show.

Go with me to the notary, seal me there
Your single bond; and in a merry sport. . ."
Antonio: Content, in faith. I'll seal to such a bond, 
And say there is much kindness in the Jew.
Go with me to a notary, seal me there
Your single bond; and in a merry sport,
If you repay me not on such a day,
In such a place, such sum or sums as are
Expressed in the condition, let the forfeit
Be nominated for an equal pound
Of your fair flesh, to be cut off and taken
In what part of your body pleaseth m
HYLOCKWhy, look you how you storm!
I would be friends with you and have your love,
Forget the shames that you have stained me with,
Supply your present wants, and take no doit
Of usance for my moneys, and you’ll not hear me!
This is kind I offer.
BASSANIO This were kindness!
SHYLOCK This kindness will I show.
Go with me to a notary, seal me there
Your single bond; and in a merry sport,
If you repay me not on such a day,
In such a place, such sum or sums as are
Expressed in the condition, let the forfeit
Be nominated for an equal pound
Of your fair flesh, to be cut off and taken
In what part of your body pleaseth me.
ANTONIO 
Content, in faith. I’ll seal to such a bond,
And say there is much kindness in the Jew

"Now, by my hood, a gentle and no Jew!" - Gratiano (2.6.53) (Talking about Jessica)
"We all expect a gentle answer Jew"- Duke (4.1.35) 
"Hie thee, gentle Jew" - Antonio (1.3.190), use of "gentle/gentile"

"Not on thy sole, but on thy soul, harsh Jew,
Though mak'st thy knife keen. But no metal can,
No, not the hangman's axe, bear half the keenness
Of thy sharp envy. Can no prayers pierce thee?" - Gratiano (4.1.125-29)

". . . an equal pound 
Of your fair flesh to be cut off and taken 
In what part of your body pleaseth me!" - Shylock (1.3.161-63)

"Thyself shall see the act" - Portia (4.1. 328)

Character of Lancelot constantly making puns:

  • "infection vs. affection" "impertinent vs pertinent" & "poor"
  • Act 3 scene 5 - misuses words and engages Lorenzo in battle of puns and deliberate misunderstanding 

Activity: Using the Worksheet, observe the underlined pun and discuss with your partner:
  1. What does it mean - what is literal and what is metaphorical?
  2. Create two of your own puns!
Worksheet:

Puns

"A Play on Words"
Using a word or words that have more than 1 meaning.
Examples:
1. I recently spent money on detergent to unclog my kitchen sink. It was money down the drain.
2. Our social studies teacher says that her globe means the world to her.
3. A jury is never satisfied with the verdict. The jury always returns it.
4. Sir Lancelot once had a very bad dream about his horse. It was a knight mare.
5. A dog not only has a fur coat but also pants.
6. Today I've got a pressing engagement. I must go to the cleaners.
7. The principal part of a horse is the mane, of course.
8. Having lots of good cookbooks only makes sense. They contain such stirring events.
9. If you want to make a pun from dunlop. Then lop off the lop and the pun is dun. 
10. I used to be twins. My mother has a picture of me when I was two
11. I work as a baker because I knead dough.
12. What is the difference between a conductor and a teacher?
The conductor minds the train and a teacher trains the mind
AND…
1.I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.  
2. I couldn't quite remember how to throw a boomerang, but eventually it came back to me.
3. Did you hear about the guy whose whole left side was cut off? He's all right now. 
4. He drove his expensive car into a tree and found out how the Mercedes bends. 
5. There was a sign on the lawn at a drug re-hab center that said 'Keep off the Grass'.
6. Police were called to a daycare where a three-year-old was resisting a rest. 
7. To write with a broken pencil is pointless.  
8. A small boy swallowed some coins and was taken to a hospital. When his grandmother telephoned to ask how he was, a nurse said 'No change yet'. 
9. What did the grape say when it got stepped on? Nothing - but it let out a little whine. 
10. The butcher backed up into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work.
There are many puns. Creating your own puns can be lots and lots of fun! Think of words or phrases that sound similar to others.
Using the patterns above, you are to write two puns. In case you need help getting started, here are some suggestions:
in Seine                                                        denial (ne nile)
Taiwan (tie one)                                           antifreeze (aunty frees)
newly weds (newly webs)                           defeat (de feet)
Tylenol (tile and all)                                   liability (lie ability)                 
patients (virtue/doctors' patients)               optical illusion (optical Aleutian)
appeal (a peel)
Lettuce (let us)
seasons (salt and pepper or Holiday)
ice day/nice day
well
sew/so
comb (rooster's comb/people's comb)

Funny Videos:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday, June 17

Your ELA Regents Exam is this Wednesday at 7:30 in the morning.   Bring two pens with you. You are not allowed to write in pencil Fi...